4.02.2008

First World Autism Awareness Day!!

I need to take a day away from my usual rants and reviews of my favorite reality tv shows to discuss a very serious matter.

Something that is very close to my heart lately is the diagnosis of my nephew's autism. He is the most adorable, free-spirited 2-year old, with the cutest, curly, blond hair. I don't think many people understand autism until you actually see someone you love trying to weed through the twists and tangles of daily activities. I've seen the initial heartache my brother, sister-in-law and family experienced, the waiting for a diagnosis and the desperation to get treatment. There's still a long winding road ahead, but he has made much progress in his program since his diagnosis in December!

The General Assembly of the United Nations has established today (April 2) as the First World Autism Awareness Day. The goal is to raise society’s awareness of autism and the struggles of families with an autistic member.

For those of you who are not familiar with autism, here is Wikipedia's condensed definition: "Autism is a brain development disorder that impairs social interaction and communication, and causes restricted and repetitive behavior, all starting before a child is three years old." Autism was a very rare condition and eventually the stats rose to 5 in 10,000. In 2007, the Centers for Disease Control reported that 1 in 150 children are diagnosed with autism. It's rising out of control and something needs to be done quickly!


Take A Walk!!
Why not take a virtual walk today, and see how you can help autism!
I just did :)
www.walknowforautism.org



Great Autism Resources —

My brother's blog: 1in150.wordpress.com

My sister-in-law's blog: hopingnotcoping.wordpress.com

A few good links about autism:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josiah...that's our little guy! I'm really moved by your post and your action to do a virtual walk for autism. We're so fortunate to have such a loving family that supports us!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't ask for a better sister than you!